[BlueOnyx:14133] Re: Post BlueQuartz questions here?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Dec 19 17:04:27 -05 2013

On 12/19/2013 3:36 PM, Carl Leonard wrote:
> I upgraded my ancient RaQs to Intel boxes. On the one that is used for
> hosting several virtual sites, I installed Blue Onyx. On the other I
> installed Blue Quartz. Both have served well. However, when I attempt
> updates on the Blue Quartz server, the query returns errors re: blue
> quartz repository and mirrors not available.
>
> There seems to be a paucity of information and help for BlueQuartz.
>
> So, is this the proper list for BlueQuartz questions?
>
> If not, can someone direct me to a better address for BlueQuartz questions?
>
> If BlueQuartz is a casualty of time and technology (or lack of
> interest??) - what is involved in migrating to BlueOnyx? Perhaps a
> better question is: since this box is no longer used for hosting – it is
> now only used as an MySQL server – is CentOS or some other OS a better
> choice?

Hi Carl and/or Sandy:

BlueOnyx is the successor to BlueQuartz.  There's not a lot going on
with BlueQuartz these days, it seems.   The latest version available is
based on CentOS 4, and that is quite out of date.  That is the reason
you're not getting YUM updates - that OS reached the end of it's
lifecycle quite some time ago.

BlueOnyx is a great hosting appliance.   If all you are doing is MySQL
on it, I'm not sure that it's your best choice, but if you want
something that packages everything together, but in much more modern
versions and forms than the old BlueQuartz and RaQ.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services