[BlueOnyx:14170] Re: Is tomcat update possible?

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Dec 30 03:57:07 -05 2013

Hi Dirk,

> we are running a 5108R (SL) for one of our customers. Our customer
> is asking now if we can update tomcat from Version 6.0.24 (which is
> installed in the moment) to the newest 6er version of tomcat.

I just checked to make sure:

[root at 5108r 5108R]# yum info tomcat6
Loaded plugins: auto-update-debuginfo, security
Installed Packages
Name        : tomcat6
Arch        : noarch
Version     : 6.0.24
Release     : 57.el6_4
Size        : 187 k
Repo        : installed
>From repo   : sl-security 			<-- See here
Summary     : Apache Servlet/JSP Engine, RI for Servlet 2.5/JSP 2.1 API
URL         : http://tomcat.apache.org/
License     : ASL 2.0

We're using the version of Tomcat that comes from "upstream", which is
either CentOS or Scientific Linux. They tend to keep the version number
static, but release updates with all the security fixes. So this Tomcat
6.0.24 should be pretty much up to date on security fixes. This here is
actually the 57th release of their Tomcat 6.0.24, so it has seen quite
some patching and fixes.

However, as for features it could indeed be a bit behind of what the
developers of Tomcat dish out.

As for upgrading it: It might be possible to build the latest Tomcat
from the sources and install it. But then it would be up to you to keep
that custom built Tomcat up to date and secure.

Lets ask the other way around: Why does he need the latest Tomcat and
what does it offer that the current one doesn't?