[BlueOnyx:11881] Re: Varnish Cache

jeffrey Pellin - PX2 jeffrey at px2co.net
Wed Jan 2 12:17:26 -05 2013

FWIW I'm going to throw my three pennyworth into this.

Chris
really helped us identify the issue with a badly performing site last
year (2012).

He's a hosting god - and knows his stuff in a commercial
way ( as well as having the theoretical at this fingertips).

Give him
a good listen.

HNY

Jeffrey

---

 JEFFREY PELLIN
 Director

JEFFREY PELLIN CONSULTANCY LTD [1] WORK: 01692 558226
 MOBILE: 07768
451738
 EMAIL: jeffrey at pellin.co.uk [2]

 		See who we know in common
[3]

On 02.01.2013 16:39, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet wrote:

On 1/1/2013 10:57 PM, Joseph Chambers wrote:

>> Hello, I want to run
Varnish for available to all of my sites on the server. 1) How do I get
it to start up if I ever reboot my server. For example; I know that I am
running a non-standard implementation of ProFTPd in order to support TLS
(FTP over SSL instead of FTPS which is natively supported). Therefore,
service will fail on reboot. is this something I will worry about for
Varnish? 2) How do I install it without breaking BluOynx? Any advice? I
know how to shell in and install scripts but I'm not as smart as anyone
reading this.

> Joseph,
> Welcome to the BX list.
>
> From my
cursory look, it does appear that Varnish can be installed
> without
extreme system modifications. However, having it installed,
> and
properly configuring it to do what you want it to do are two

different issues entirely.

> Not all sites are created equally. There
are static sites, dynamic
> sites, and of course some dynamic sites are
more dynamic than others.
> In addition, sessions, cookies and so forth
must be taken into account.
> Dirk made a nice suggestion regarding the
possibility of having a 3rd
> party application that would enable the
cache on a site by site basis.
> However, since each site needs to be
treated differently, it does seem
> to me that a great deal of
configuration would need to be done for each
> site.
>
> IMHO, I'm
just not sure it's worth the effort. In the real world, for
> most
sites, I'm doubtful that this is the best way to address performance.

> We've discussed offlist some concerns you have with a particular
site,
> and I'm guessing that the relatively poor performance of that
site is
> the reason you would consider a cache such as Varnish. As
mentioned
> offlist, there are other concerns with that particular site
(enormous
> images up to a few-hundred kilobytes each being the
low-hanging fruit) I
> would recommend tackling first. The best
accelerator or cache system
> will not fix a poorly constructed site. I
do not mention this in order
> to be contrary or to seem disrespectful.
But for my money and/or time,
> I'd rather be certain that the
foundation is as solid as possible before
> throwing add-ons and
extensions on top.

> HTH,

Links: