[BlueOnyx:11983] Re: Spam Anti-Virus Solution For 5106R

Ralf Quint Smoothwall at gmx.net
Fri Jan 11 03:36:57 -05 2013

At 01:38 PM 1/10/2013, Maurice de Laat wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 01:45:43PM -0600, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ
>Internet wrote:
>
> > 2. External MX gateway used as "spam firewall".  There are several
> > providers of this as a hosted service (MXLogic, Postini, VIRTBIZ) or as
> > a hardware device (Barracuda, Ironport).
>
>I don't recommend this because of the false non deliverables this solution
>often produces.

Not sure what products you used, but I have such a solution in place
for myself and a couple of clients.
Running a Linux based firewall in front of the network/servers and on
that box a mod/add-on for that firewall that adds SMTP filtering
without a hitch, utilizing both ClamAV and DSpam and a few blacklists.
Easy to set up, and learned to catch +95% just within the first few
hours. And all for just $0.00 (not counting a possible RAM upgrade
for the firewall, as specially ClamAV is a memory hog, but that's
still <$80 in most cases)...

Ralf