[BlueOnyx:13354] Re: site logs

Will Nordmeyer will at wnahosting.com
Tue Jul 16 08:19:30 -05 2013

On Tue, 16 Jul 2013 08:08:50 -0500, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet
<cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com> wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
> On 7/16/2013 6:52 AM, Will Nordmeyer wrote:
>> Is there a way to permanently change ownership of the site logs?  They
>> count against a site's quota and I don't want to bump site quotas that
>> high to get around it.
>>
>> I have a script that runs at the end of logrotate that changes the logs
>> to root:root but it takes time and there is still a period of time when
>> the logs are filling the quota, which can screw up email & other
>> services for the users.
>
> Hmmmm, actually log files SHOULD be owned by the site.   They are, after
> all, that site's files.   Not the answer you're looking for, but it does
> make sense that the logfiles generated by their sites.
>
> If you're looking to cut down on the quota they consume, you might
> consider not saving them "forever" but maybe just for a year.   Our
> customers know (or are assisted in learning) to remove old logfiles if
> they don't want to have them taking up space.

The sites don't really know how to do that - these are the system logs
- webserver, ftp, mail that are in the site/logs directory.  I'm betting
most of my sites don't really even track them.  Is there an easy way to
update the logrotate script to reduce consumption?