[BlueOnyx:13360] Re: site logs

Stephanie Sullivan ses at aviaweb.com
Tue Jul 16 09:18:04 -05 2013

Will,

I also feel your pain :-)

Log rotation is set based on log file size for web, mail, etc. with rotation at 10% of site quota. With a 500MB site the logs rotate at 50MB (each for web, mail and ftp) in size and that adds up pretty quick! The files used to be compressed when rotated but no more as of (I think) 5108 which exacerbates the problem.

I would like to be able to set a fixed log rotation max size, percent of site quota and/or schedule.

In other words I would like to be able to control a scheduled rotation based on date (every day, week, month). Control what percent of site quota should trigger a rotation( 1%, 5% 10%, etc.) and/or some fixed size (5MB, 10MB whatever). Logrotate would allow all these for one log file. Whichever comes first would trigger the rotation. I would like to see per-site settings and defaults set in the new site template.

Currently on sites where this is annoying I edit the /etc/logrotate.d/sitexx file. Of course this gets overwritten if the site quota is changed.

In /etc/logrotate.conf I changed the compress option to on by uncommenting it:
# uncomment this if you want your log files compressed
compress

I hope this is helpful to you and a helpful suggestion.

	-Stephanie