[BlueOnyx:13374] Re: BlueOnyx:13368] (Mac's reply 1) Re: What is the minimum & ideal PC specification ?

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Jul 18 08:56:12 -05 2013

Hi Mac,

On 7/18/2013 5:55 AM, gen at ercuk.com wrote:
> Hi, Thanks guys (Lew Berry, webmaster, Chris Gebhardt) for your replies:
> Lew, you said: 'I'm actually running a P2-400 with 64MB RAM, and it
> happens to be incredibly stable.'
> So how come your install works with only 64MB of RAM !
> but my install wouldn't with a 'massive 256MB' ?

Ah, well, the P2 box that I referenced happens to be running CentOS 5.9.
  That's a generation earlier than what 5107R is built on, and it's most
likely that certain architectures have been obsoleted by the Redhat
development team.

> BTW: As I said in my original post, I can't increase this PC's Ram,
> because: 256MB Dim is its maximum !
> Also looking in:
> http://wiki.centos.org/About/Product<http://wiki.centos.org/About/Product>
> Under: Recommended minimum requirements, it says:
> * Architecture:
> a: Supports x86 Systems (32-bit Pentium, AMD, Via) (and note says:
> non-PAE capable CPUs not supported)
>   Q: So how do I find out if my particular P3 (or any other) is 'PAE
> capable' ?

According to this link, a P3 should support PAE:
http://serverfault.com/questions/85980/what-processors-do-do-not-support-pae

> b: Supports x86_64 systems (AMD64/EM64T)
>   Q: So it doesn't support a Pentium 64 bit ?

No.  Pretty much any 64bit CPU from Intel or AMD is compatible with
5108R.   32bit procs will need 5107R.

>   Q: And what about duel-core Pentiums ?

I think it's funny you put "duel-core" rather than "dual-core".  I just
have a picture in my head of CPU's marching 10 paces, turning around and
shooting each other.    But that aside, pretty much anything with
multiple cores is also going to be a 64bit proc, so it would be
compatible (and I would recommend 5108R).

> * Minimum disk space: 2GB
>   Q: So why does the BO-install menu have a choice for installs with
> less than 20GB ?

20GB > 2GB.    Although it may be possible to squeeze a basic RHEL (ie
CentOS, Scientific Linux, etc) into 2GB of space and have some room left
over, that's an absolute bare minimum requirement for bare minimum
services.   I don't think you'd be able to comfortably squeeze all the
required packages for a BlueOnyx system into 2GB and walk away with
anything usable!

> * x86 (ram?): 392M CLI/512M GUI per logical CPU
>   Q: so min ram is 392M ?

Yes.

>      Q: so what does CLI/512M mean ?

What that actually says is "392M CLI/512M GUI", which means it needs
392MB for a CLI (command line interface) installation and 512MB for a
GUI (graphical user interface) installation.   Note that BlueOnyx is CLI.

> Q: if the minimum ram is 392MB, how can it run with only 64MB RAM ?
>       but not with my 'massive 256MB' ?

Sorry if I was unclear before, but I mentioned that the P2 box that I'm
running with that pittance of RAM is actually just handling storage for
my backups.   It's not a BlueOnyx machine.

The real answer that you are looking for is a set of minimum
requirements for BlueOnyx.   Here's what I would submit to you as the
absolute minimum system requirements for BlueOnyx:

Pentium 3 500Mhz or better
512MB RAM or better
40GB hard drive or better

5107R for 32-bit installs, 5108R for 64-bit installs.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services