[BlueOnyx:13371] BlueOnyx:13368] (Mac's reply 1) Re: What is the minimum & ideal PC specification ?

gen at ercuk.com gen at ercuk.com
Thu Jul 18 05:55:25 -05 2013

Hi, Thanks guys (Lew Berry, webmaster, Chris Gebhardt) for your replies:

Lew, you said: 'I'm actually running a P2-400 with 64MB RAM, and it happens to be incredibly stable.'

So how come your install works with only 64MB of RAM !
but my install wouldn't with a 'massive 256MB' ?

BTW: As I said in my original post, I can't increase this PC's Ram, because: 256MB Dim is its maximum !

Also looking in: http://wiki.centos.org/About/Product

Under: Recommended minimum requirements, it says:

* Architecture:

a: Supports x86 Systems (32-bit Pentium, AMD, Via) (and note says: non-PAE capable CPUs not supported)
 Q: So how do I find out if my particular P3 (or any other) is 'PAE capable' ?

b: Supports x86_64 systems (AMD64/EM64T)
 Q: So it doesn't support a Pentium 64 bit ?
 Q: And what about duel-core Pentiums ?

* Minimum disk space: 2GB
 Q: So why does the BO-install menu have a choice for installs with less than 20GB ?

and...

* x86 (ram?): 392M CLI/512M GUI per logical CPU
 Q: so min ram is 392M ?
    Q: so what does CLI/512M mean ?

and...

Q: if the minimum ram is 392MB, how can it run with only 64MB RAM ?
     but not with my 'massive 256MB' ?

Many thanks, Mac.