[BlueOnyx:13395] Re: Setting up a DELL 1850 PowerEdge (2)

bob richards bob at blacklab.com
Mon Jul 22 09:29:04 -05 2013

> Q: Is the CD drive easy to install ?

Yes, shouldn't need anything but a screwdriver

> Q: Will it need drivers installing, if so, where can I get them from, and
> how do I install them ?
>       (or will the BlueOnyx install disk take care of it ?)
>

> No, blueonyx has booted right up on every dell server I've had. The only
issue I've ever encountered was getting drives raided up correctly before
getting into blue onyx

> And as this has 64bit dual (or perhaps duel) processors ;>)
> Q: I'm assuming I should use the 64-bit install: BlueOnyx-5108R-CentOS-6.3
>

> Yes, try the 64bit, if it doesn't work then use the 32bit. I can't
remember if the 1850's are 32 or 64.

> Q: So to install should I just insert the CD & boot the server ?

yes

> Q: And what set-up should I choose from its install menu ?

the auto set up has been good for me.

> Q: Will it automatically find the LAN Address, etc ?

when setting up the network you can do dhcp, but I would assign it an
address so it doesn't change when you reboot.

> Also: It's dawned on me that this is much heavier and cumbersome than a PC
> Tower (39 lb) !
> I don't have any kind of server-rack, so to save space...
> Q: Can I mount this vertically on a wall, or must it be flat ?

it would be better if flat, or on it's side. don't block the air flow in
the front or back of the machine

>       (I guess the only items that may care are the HDD & CD drives)
>
> Anything else that I may need or be prepared for ?

I'd figure out what all of your network settings should be now.