[BlueOnyx:13420] DELL 1850 PowerEdge ~ Fans running at full tilt ~ Update 2

gen at ercuk.com gen at ercuk.com
Fri Jul 26 14:02:46 -05 2013

DELL 1850 PowerEdge ~ Fans running at full tilt ~ Update 2

I've removed the top cover and powered up the server, to check the 4 fans:

a: 3 of their indicator lights on the PCB were green.
b: but FAN_1's was amber, and it was not rotating, because it had some stringy-rubbery-white-material jammed between the impeller & its housing, which looked like the remnants of a seal ?

So I removed this obstruction, and now, its fan-light is now green, and the fan is now rotating OK.

Then I powered down, unplugged, replaced the cover.

Now when plugging in the server: The fan on PSU1 can be heard quite loudly.
And after switching on the server: The server fans run full-on as before,
but only for a few seconds, then they slow down a bit.

However: The 'amber system status indicator' (to the left of the right-hand HDD) is still flashing !

Thanks: Gerald Waugh:
The switches on the back & front don't clear the 'amber-indicator' and appear for system ID only.

Thanks Wisja: Who suggested that I check & clear the system-logs ??
Q: So how do I do that ?

Thanks.