[BlueOnyx:13423] Re: DELL 1850 PowerEdge ~ Fans running at full tilt ~ Update 2

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Jul 26 15:50:39 -05 2013

Hi there,

I should point out that, while this tends to be a very helpful group,
the questions you are asking are really not related to BlueOnyx at all,
and you may be better off asking these types of questions in a more
appropriate forum.   Dell support, or a Dell users group/list for example.

On 7/26/2013 2:02 PM, gen at ercuk.com wrote:
> DELL 1850 PowerEdge ~ Fans running at full tilt ~ Update 2
> I've removed the top cover and powered up the server, to check the 4 fans:
> a: 3 of their indicator lights on the PCB were green.
> b: but FAN_1's was amber, and it was not rotating, because it had some
> stringy-rubbery-white-material jammed between the impeller & its
> housing, which looked like the remnants of a seal ?

Could be anything.  Part of the server, part of the fan, or some general
debris.   The 1850 (and it's 2U cousin the 2850) are pretty old servers
at this point... a couple of generations back.   So it'll likely last
you a while, but be prepared that just like a high mileage used car, you
may be in for some repairs and maintenance from time to time.   The
1650/2650 line and the 1750's aged pretty well for us.  We didn't keep
the 2850's around very long.  Once the 2950's came about it suddenly
became very expensive to run the 2850's.

> So I removed this obstruction, and now, its fan-light is now green, and
> the fan is now rotating OK.
> Then I powered down, unplugged, replaced the cover.
> Now when plugging in the server: The fan on PSU1 can be heard quite loudly.
> And after switching on the server: The server fans run full-on as before,
> but only for a few seconds, then they slow down a bit.

Good.   Probably still pretty loud, but that's what servers do.   And
the smaller the case, the smaller the fans.  The smaller the fans, the
higher RPM.   The higher the RPM, the louder the noise.

> However: The 'amber system status indicator' (to the left of the
> right-hand HDD) is still flashing !

How many power supplies do you have connected?   Also, the 2850 had a
LCD readout that would display the error code on the front of the
server.   I don't remember if the 1850's had that as well.   I know the
1950 / 2950 line has the same LCD display on the front.... if so, that
will indicate exactly what's going on.

But... if there are 2 power supplies on the server, plug them both in.
  Ensure that both power supplies are lit green in the back, and see if
that turns your status indicator from amber to blue.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services