[BlueOnyx:13470] Re: Help with BlueOnyx setup...Reply to: Digest, Vol 55, Issue 43/5 (1)

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jul 31 15:01:20 -05 2013

On 7/31/2013 2:20 PM, gen at ercuk.com wrote:
> Q: Lew Berry: would the 'wrench' be right next to the socket ?

OK, I'll hope to save a little bit of brain damage on this thread.   I
checked in the datacenter and managed to find a customer PE1850 still
spinning out there.   (There could be a few more, but this is the first
one I found).   I took a picture.   Would you like to see it?   Of
course you would.  Here is the link:
http://www.virtbiz.com/images/Dell1850.jpg

So on this Dell PE-1850, there are 3 NICs on the back.   From left to
right, they are:   DRAC.  #2,  #1.

Don't use the DRAC.

Don't use the one marked 2, because that is Eth1 under Linux.

You want to use the one furthest to the right when you're looking at the
server from the back.   That's marked "1".   It will be Eth0 under Linux.

So, now that you have your connections straight, you'll want to ensure
that you have your network settings correct.   And that's where things
are going to get really screwy, since you're trying to plug in to some
sort of DHCP router, and you're recycling IP addresses which gets your
router's ARP cache all screwed around and your DHCP lease is most likely
interfering.

Jeff Folk had a good suggestion on narrowing your DHCP range.   But
honestly, I have to question why you would set a server up behind a
little SOHO router like that.  Unless you're dealing with an Internet
connection with limited IP addresses... but then I'm not sure why you
would want to put a server on there?  Well, you must have some idea for
what you're wanting to accomplish so I should leave that part of the
equation alone.    The point, however, is that you need to allow
adequate room in your network for a statically assigned IP address.   So
check with your router documentation on how you can do that, and then
once you apply those changes, power-cycle the router.   That will ensure
that any cached ARP assignments are flushed away.

If you're reasonably capable of configuring a LAN, then you should not
have any problems with propping up a BlueOnyx box.  BlueOnyx
configuration is the first thing our new crew members learn here, mainly
because it's nearly idiot-proof.  It's really hard to get it wrong.
Pop the CD in the drive, image it up, reboot, assign an IP address and
the box is online!

So double check your connections using the picture I've taken, fix your
router's DHCP, reboot your gear and you should be able to bring it online.

If that STILL does not work, use a cross-over cable between the server
and a laptop or spare PC.   Configure non-routables between the 2
systems and see if you can ping across like that.   If you can't, then
I'd submit that there could be some sort of hardware failure on the
server.   And at that age device, I wouldn't discount that possibility.

Good luck!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services