[BlueOnyx:12391] Re: Solarspeed / Compass / BlueOnyx stores

Dave Park plastic at plasticuser.com
Tue Mar 5 10:40:29 -05 2013

I think you might be surprised. There are now over 1.2 million Raspberry
Pis in the world, and any supported distribution gets well promoted by the
site. One of the commonest requests is for a simple-to-use/maintain LAMP
stack, and I don't think it gets any better than BO. Considering there have
been over 100,000 downloads of RiscOS (which took its bow many years before
the Raq did) and around half of those have stuck... If you did it, it would
almost certainly become the primary platform for BO users within the month.
;)

Also, a $35 Pi with a $15 adaptor board fits in an existing Raq case and
uses the existing buttons and LCD, but draws around 500mA, the
opportunities for a new BO appliance to be actually made are quite good.
Putting the equivalent hardware in a simple 3.5" external drive case is....
attractive ;)

Someone'll do something along those lines fairly soon - it would be good to
see BO get the first adopter publicity ;)

*grins*

Oh, BTW: I'm Dave. I do PCB design/assembly and programming to keep antique
computers relevant, and also am an indie filmmaker. My favored platform is
the Sinclair QL, which might please any Brits on the list.

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> > While you're considering those options, an ARM port would be nice *just
> > dreaming*
>
> If you heard a distant and loud screaming in despair, then that was
> probably me. :p
>
> No, I really don't want to go there. Yes, I agree: The ARM architecture
> is nice and for some purposes it just rocks.
>
> But all things considered, a port of BlueOnyx for ARM is pretty much out
> of the question. It would cost a lot of time and money to create and to
> maintain it. And even if we eventually had an installation media or
> procedure for it, the number of users who would actually use it would be
> minimal.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

 "At present, not all the possibilities implied by the above are
implemented."

    -- Tony Firshman, 1999