[BlueOnyx:12396] Re: Solarspeed / Compass / BlueOnyx stores

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue Mar 5 11:06:11 -05 2013

Hi Steven,

> In all seriousness.. The old Cobalt boot-loaders are not capable
> of loading a 2.6 kernel - it does some horrible two-stage kernel
> thing (horrible as in clever, but horrible) and it doesn't
> allocate enough RAM for storing the second kernel if it's 2.6,
> or something like that..

Yeah, the two stage kernel loading was quite interesting. But yes,
that's really where the age of the platform shows. Then again, we're
used to throw desktops away (or to retire them for more menial tasks)
after 3-4 years. With that in mind it's quite interesting to see that
some of the original RaQs still run even today.

> I did a lot of experimentation with this on a Qube, and I've
> had quite enough of staring at serial consoles for one lifetime!

Oh yes, I can imagine.