[BlueOnyx:12405] Re: Mail filtering alternative to Postini

Drew Happli drew at happli.org
Tue Mar 5 13:36:55 -05 2013

David,

My contract with Google ended in November, prior to that I
moved my services over to SpamHero. In fact with SpamHero I got a good
rate, and became the reseller. The only bad part about being the
"reseller" is that I now have to handle all tech support for the
product.

Honestly it isn't that hard, but then again I don't have a
ton of customers either. When I compare SpamHero and Postini I find I
still have some messages that slip through, but there is a handy e-mail
address I can forward them to, so the filters help get trained better. I
have found the same amount of missed spam with both services. With
SpamHero I actually have someone I can contact if things have gone
horribly wrong.

I know you had a reseller so your experience will be
different than mine was, but I had no way to get a hold of Google to
request help, or report bugs or feature suggestions. SpamHero on the
other hand has a ticketing system for submitting bugs and issues. They
have a community driven feature suggestion thingy. I can go read what
others have requested and either add my voice to that or say I think it
is a bad idea.

There are other services out there as well, I looked at
a number of them last summer. I would need to find my notes on them to
give a run down of what I found on the other ones I did not go with.

Drew.

On 03/05/2013 1:24 pm, David Thacker wrote:

> Greetings
all,

> I've been offering Postini mail filtering service to many of
my domain
> hosting customers for several years now. As you might know,
Google bought
> Postini a few years back, and this year they are
shutting down the Postini
> service and migrating customers to Google
Apps.

> My Postini service was obtained through a reseller, not
through direct
> contracts with Postini, as this was the best option
for the number of
> hosted accounts I have. This reseller is now
offering to migrate their
> customers (including myself) to McAfee
email security services, similar to
> what Postini was providing.

I am taking this transition as an opportunity to consider other email

filtering options. I do like the "mail filtering as a service" model

compared to running my own mail filtering appliance, and am not really

> interested in adding spam & AV filtering duties to my BX server. I'd

> rather offload that task.
>
> Do any of you have any suggestions of
mail filtering services to look at,
> or other alternatives I might not
have considered? Have any of you gone
> through the same transition
away from Postini, and if so, how has the
> replacement service been in
comparison?

> Thanks in advance,
>
> David Thacker