[BlueOnyx:12413] Re: 5106R performance issues

Jim Matysek matysekj at usms.org
Tue Mar 5 14:12:22 -05 2013

Hi Chris,

> -- ActiveMonitor reports "The FTP server is not running and could not be
> restarted."
>
> -- ActiveMonitor reports "The SMTP server is not running and could not
> be restarted."
>
> -- Periodic "The CPU is being moderately used alerts.

We've seen the ones above recently also, particularly the FTP server not
running. We've got 3 BX VPS instances in Aventurin{e} and more often
than not all 3 will report the FTP issue at the same cron interval and
then be fine at the next 15 minute check. If I see the email about it
and go immediately to FTP in to that box, it has always worked for me,
although sometimes that initial connection takes a fair amount longer
than usual. The other two are more sporadic for us, but there is a
slight increase lately.

I also have not found anything when poking around for this. Let me know
if you ever do.

I also have had 2 or 3 cases now of the maillog sitting at 0 size and
nothing logged there, even though mail is otherwise running fine.
Nothing found in the messages log indicating a problem either.
Restarting sendmail doesn't resolve this. Anyone have a suggestion for
something else to try short of rebooting that VPS (which is what I've
resorted to)?

--
Jim Matysek