[BlueOnyx:12418] Re: BlueOnyx on alternative platforms

shouldbe q931 shouldbeq931 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 16:09:30 -05 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet
<cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com> wrote:

> But yeah, when we start spending our suitcases of money on alternate
> platform development, I've got a couple I'll enjoy exploring.  One of
> them is DEC Alpha.  We've got a massive Alpha running in a corner of the
> DAL1 datacenter that will be finally coming out of production next year.
>   It predates my involvement in the business and my understanding is it
> first went online in 1992.  The thing has not been rebooted in 4 years.

its only been up for a short time then....

>   It sits there on its own dedicated 3-phase 208V power, along-side its
> drive array cabinet.  There is an entire 42U cabinet loaded with drive
> shelves and PDU that consumes about 60amps of 208 single-phase.  All
> those drives come together to make a 1TB volume.  Yes, you read

it wasn't that size when they bought it

18GB 15k disks are fairly "recent", however if the front cover says
Compaq, then its probably much younger, but the door could have been
replaced....

>From your other post, if it is connected to the array via FC-AL,
there's a controller in with the disk shelves, if you're charging them
for power, it might well be worth their while to move to a _much_
smaller quantity of 300GB disks, which they _should_ be able to do
online...  if you're providing them with power for a fixed fee, it
might be worth your while to do the disk migration for free for
them...

> correctly.   In terms of stability, reliability, and bullet-proof, I
> haven't personally seen anything that comes close, although I've heard
> many stories.  I've been on console with it a handful of times and AIX

It won't be AIX, that's a different type of Blue :-), it's probably
Digital Unix, or Open VMS

> looks neat, but it's kind of like an American trying to understand
> Welsh.  It's kind of similar, just different enough to be confusing.   I
> can't wait to play with it.  :)   BlueOnyx would be fun on it.

apologies if I'm "teaching granny to suck eggs"

Cheers

Arne