[BlueOnyx:12430] Re: Upgrading Switch

Mark E. Levy mark at levysplace.us
Tue Mar 5 21:00:54 -05 2013

*I* would not recommend the Cisco 2948. That model uses the Catalyst O/S, NOT IOS. Those switches are cheap because while they purport to be POE, you must use non-standard cables. There are tons of them out there. I, too was lured by the cheap price and bought one, and ended up taking it on a long voyage to the computer junkyard very shortly thereafter. It's a boat anchor.

Look for some of the Cisco/Linksys low-end switches. They're web manageable, and work well.

Mark Levy
ETA