[BlueOnyx:12442] Re: Mail archiving

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Wed Mar 6 08:46:14 -05 2013

Hi Dirk,

> Do you have also suggestions for mail archiving software? Cloud-based or installable?

A while ago we already had a bit of a discussion about this topic. See
"[BlueOnyx:11250]  archive email" and its follow-ups. However, that
discussion was mostly about appliances, although I think some cloud
based services were also mentioned.

In my experience it is a legal minefield.

The thing is that most of these appliances have to conform to quite a
few laws and regulations, which differ depending on the form of
incorporation of the users company and the country where the company is
located.

For example there is Article 147 of the US Revenue Code, the German
GDPdU regulations, Basel II and (important for USA clients as well), but
also the Sarbanes-Oxley Act - just to name a few.

Lastly there are also privacy concerns and concerns about possible
complains from worker unions.

If you go for either a cloud based service or an appliance, you need to
make sure that their solutions comply with the legal requirements that
apply for the company that you plan to use it for.

If it's for a German client, I would recommend to take a look at this:

http://www.artec-it.de/en/Auf_einen_Blick/Funktionsuebersicht/Mail.aspx

That's from a German company in Karben near Frankfurt / Main.

(You can switch the page to English in the upper righthand corner).

That appliance here seems to have it all covered. For example: To access
emails a two person oversight is needed, so that the disgruntled
helldesk guy can't snoop around in the CEO's or HRA's emails.

There may be ways to set it all up in a DIY fashion, but as a lot of
legal factors apply that might vary from place to place, this might be
somewhat risky. If it's for a big commercial client, then I would
suggest to offload that kind of responsibility and chuck out some cash
for a really professional appliance that was designed from the ground up
with all those issues in mind.