[BlueOnyx:12461] Re: Solarspeed / Compass / BlueOnyx stores

Ralf Quint Smoothwall at gmx.net
Thu Mar 7 01:44:04 -05 2013

At 08:10 PM 3/6/2013, Michael Stauber wrote:
>However, the performance might be a bit on the slim side. 512MB RAM,
>that slow CPU and the performance of the OS running either off the SD
>card or the USB attached medium will probably make it feel like dragging
>a boat anchor around.

Well, it is certainly not for high-end use, but for a lot of people
who run just their own website/email on it, it should be sufficient.
And when booting off the SD card and using an USB disk for the data
(web site(s),email), you don't have to go through any hoops with
FAT32 or the like....

>But all in all it looks like a really interesting gimmick that could be
>useful for quite a few purposes. Board, PSU, 8GB SD card and a HDMI->DVI
>adapter add up to around 80,- EUR. That's quite a bargain.

Actually much cheaper.
$35     Raspberry Pi Model B, 512MB
  $8     Micro-USB phone power adapter (Duracell, use a few of those
in various places for my phone(s))
  $7     8GB SD (Kingston, from Newegg)
( $6    6ft HDMI cable (only necessary for basic setup, connects to
my TV and/or half of my LCD monitors))
==========
$60 or by current exchange rate, Eur53.-

>Then again, for around 135,- EUR you could get a Mini-ITX board that
>just needs a bit of RAM as an extra and uses standard PC components.

I think that the current Raspberry Pi is just the beginning of a
series of low-power ARM based systems that will come out in the not
to distant future. Not to mention that there are soon 64bit ARM
servers available for the general public, which are much more in the
league of what you get with common x86 machines, just with less power
comsumption (even Atoms don'r quite match up there)...

As for the Raspberry Pi itself, a fellow IT service consultant here
in Los Angeles (Santa Monica) is starting to use them with a special
version of owncloud as a local cloud server. Not a speed demon for a
large cooperation, but apparently good enough for a lot of small businesses...

Ralf