[BlueOnyx:12472] Re: Solarspeed / Compass / BlueOnyx stores

Dave Park plastic at plasticuser.com
Thu Mar 7 09:41:15 -05 2013

And they are low enough power (400mA without anything plugged in that you
usually wouldn't plug into a server) that they can run in all sorts of
places a regular server wouldn't go, like the third world or remote
locations.

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Ralf Quint <Smoothwall at gmx.net> wrote:

> At 08:10 PM 3/6/2013, Michael Stauber wrote:
> >However, the performance might be a bit on the slim side. 512MB RAM,
> >that slow CPU and the performance of the OS running either off the SD
> >card or the USB attached medium will probably make it feel like dragging
> >a boat anchor around.
>
> Well, it is certainly not for high-end use, but for a lot of people
> who run just their own website/email on it, it should be sufficient.
> And when booting off the SD card and using an USB disk for the data
> (web site(s),email), you don't have to go through any hoops with
> FAT32 or the like....
>
> >But all in all it looks like a really interesting gimmick that could be
> >useful for quite a few purposes. Board, PSU, 8GB SD card and a HDMI->DVI
> >adapter add up to around 80,- EUR. That's quite a bargain.
>
> Actually much cheaper.
> $35     Raspberry Pi Model B, 512MB
>   $8     Micro-USB phone power adapter (Duracell, use a few of those
> in various places for my phone(s))
>   $7     8GB SD (Kingston, from Newegg)
> ( $6    6ft HDMI cable (only necessary for basic setup, connects to
> my TV and/or half of my LCD monitors))
> ==========
> $60 or by current exchange rate, Eur53.-
>
> >Then again, for around 135,- EUR you could get a Mini-ITX board that
> >just needs a bit of RAM as an extra and uses standard PC components.
>
> I think that the current Raspberry Pi is just the beginning of a
> series of low-power ARM based systems that will come out in the not
> to distant future. Not to mention that there are soon 64bit ARM
> servers available for the general public, which are much more in the
> league of what you get with common x86 machines, just with less power
> comsumption (even Atoms don'r quite match up there)...
>
> As for the Raspberry Pi itself, a fellow IT service consultant here
> in Los Angeles (Santa Monica) is starting to use them with a special
> version of owncloud as a local cloud server. Not a speed demon for a
> large cooperation, but apparently good enough for a lot of small
> businesses...
>
> Ralf

 "At present, not all the possibilities implied by the above are
implemented."

    -- Tony Firshman, 1999