[BlueOnyx:12495] Re: Upgrading Switch

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Fri Mar 8 13:26:27 -05 2013

Hi Mark,

On 3/8/2013 12:09 PM, Mark E. Levy wrote:
> IIRC, there was a company called Catalyst that Cisco bought. CATOS was
> not native Cisco.

Actually, in the "way back when," Cisco thought it would be a good idea
to differentiate between switches and routers.  But then things started
converging.  Routers had switch ports, switches took on Layer3
capabilities...

If you really want to have it confusing, grab yourself a 6509 or 6505
with a Layer3 processor on it.  You'll have both IOS and CatOS on the
same device!   Well, with the older versions you will.  You can also
upgrade those now to be fully IOS on both sides.

The Catalyst Express junk doesn't have a CLI at all, just a web GUI.   I
mean, that's fine.  We all love BlueOnyx.  But what if BlueOnyx had NO
CLI!?!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services