[BlueOnyx:12497] Re: Upgrading Switch

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Fri Mar 8 13:51:07 -05 2013

> If you really want to have it confusing, grab yourself a 6509 or 6505
> with a Layer3 processor on it.  You'll have both IOS and CatOS on the
> same device!   Well, with the older versions you will.  You can also
> upgrade those now to be fully IOS on both sides.

I REMEMBER that Chris!  You got into the Catalyst switch, and then had to "attach" to the router card in it.  The command-line syntax changed just a bit when going from the CatOS to the router IOS.  Confusing, and a PIA to have to do it.  But the switch/router combo worked and was smoking fast!

> The Catalyst Express junk doesn't have a CLI at all, just a web GUI.   I
> mean, that's fine.  We all love BlueOnyx.  But what if BlueOnyx had NO
> CLI!?!

Yep - I've run into that same thing.  No CLI in those little SOHO/SMB boxes.  Didn't make me happy.  And then you've got to figure out how to do things in the GUI, when they label the functions with odd names that non-techies can understand.  Kinda like schools dumbing down the curriculum.....

Chuck