[BlueOnyx:12496] Re: Upgrading Switch

Chuck Tetlow chuck at tetlow.net
Fri Mar 8 13:45:38 -05 2013

Thanks Mark, I was about to mention that.

There have been a number of companies that Cisco has bought when they saw someone who was doing something right.  Instead of reinventing the wheel, they bought whoever was doing it best at the time.

That's how Cisco got into network security - bought the Wheel Group right here in San Antonio.  I knew and worked with some of those guys when they were AF Lieutenants and Captains.  After they'd got out, and built the Wheel Group into a huge success - Cisco bought the company, and they all retired as millionaires.

So a number of companies have built their products to be "Cisco-like" and "IOS-like" - in the hope that Cisco will see their value and buy them up.  The Catalyst line of switches was one.  The PIX line of firewalls was another.  And many others.

So when I mentioned recently that Catalyst is "IOS-like" - that what I meant.  It was close to IOS when Cisco bought the company and their line of switches.  And later, Cisco ported IOS onto it directly.  But that takes some time!

And I'll also back Chris's comments.  I've worked with Cisco gear since 1991.  Since back in the MGS and AGS days - when upgrading entailed receiving a half-dozen tubes of chips and spending a whole day pulling/replacing individual chips.  And I can count the number of Cisco equipment failures on just one hand.  And when you do have a failure - Cisco will over-night a replacement to you.

I also agree with Chris's comments about Linksys.  Cisco tried two different times to break into the SOHO market.  Their products were too expensive and sometimes required knowledgeable help to configure.  So they finally wised up and just bought a company that had a established footprint in the SOHO market - Linksys.  Unfortunately, Linksys's equipment was so cheap that it was a regular replacement item.  Put one in, six months later it fails, and you just put in another.  They were cheap enough that it didn't hurt too bad - until you look at how many you had to replace over five years and compare that cost to a single Cisco unit.  That's when the company owner goes "OH!  Now I see why you recommended that more-expensive Cisco".

Linksys's equipment has gotten better since it was bought by Cisco.  But it still has a higher failure rate than others.

DLink has been pretty good, but still a number of failures.

Netgear is slow and interfaces are flaky.

HP has some good products.  But we've replaced two of their Procurve switches within one year of installation.  Luckily, their support is good - but it costs our customers OUR time to do the replacement, and of course - their down-time.  Doesn't make them happy!

And I agree - stay away from Dell.  Confusing, inconsistent configuration steps from model to model, and flaky.

Chuck