[BlueOnyx:12526] Re: Kernel Question

Steven Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Tue Mar 12 08:33:57 -05 2013

On 12 Mar 2013, at 13:20, Dirk Estenfeld wrote:
> I see no entries for the newer kernel in the grub.conf.
>
> Is this a mistake? Is it working as designed?
> Can I deinstall / reinstall the newer kernel with the hope that grub conf will contain the correct settings after reinstall?

Hi,

Bit of an odd (but very well known*) issue. There is two grub.confs

[root at server ~]# locate grub.conf
/boot/grub/grub.conf
/etc/grub.conf

One will be right, one will be wrong. You need to copy the newest over the oldest. You can symlink it to prevent it in future.

There is/was a long-term fix in the works, but obviously there is a lot of scope for this going wrong if it were deployed to lots of machines!

Regards.

Steve

*
http://mail.blueonyx.it/pipermail/blueonyx/2012-July/011001.html