[BlueOnyx:12549] Re: SCP Problems to BX5106R

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Mar 16 12:37:04 -05 2013

Hi John,

> I am attempting to use scp to transfer a cmuExport from an old RAQ to a
> BX 5106.  After answering the prompt to add the key to the known_host
> file, but before being asked for the password, my ssh connection to the
> source machine dropped.  When I reconnected,  and retried the command, I
> received an error that the connection was closed by the host.
>
> I have cleared the entry from the local known_host, but not sure where
> this is stored on BX or the command to correct.
> I can successfully scp files to other BX machines, just not the one I
> want to to.  I am just moving single domains off of the old machine one
> at a time to shut it down permanently.  I am looking to learn what I am
> missing with this command.  I looked at the man pages for scp, googled
> it, and looked on the list for this error with scp and figured it was
> time to ask.

Things to check:

- In the GUI make sure "root access" by SSH is allowed under "Services"
/ "Shell".

- Check /var/log/messages and /var/log/secure for any additional SSH
related errors, or errors related to the authentication.

- Check /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny for any host related blocks.

- Check with "/sbin/iptables -L -n" to see which firewall related rules
are there (if any).

- Check with "pam_abl -v" which PAM related blocks and bans are there.
If in doubt, you can remove the pam_abl related block database with this
command: "rm -f /var/lib/abl/*.db", which doesn't require any service
restart. A fresh and empty copy of the databases will be recreated
automatically.