[BlueOnyx:12655] Re: DNS Spamming

Richard Morgan richard at morgan-web.co.uk
Fri Mar 29 16:33:14 -05 2013

I found the three iptables commands worked when I switched it to UDP:

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m state --state
NEW -m recent --set --name DNS --rsource

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m state --state
NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 10 --rttl --name
DNS --rsource -j LOG --log-prefix "Block DNS port UDP 53 Attack "

/sbin/iptables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -m state --state
NEW -m recent --update --seconds 60 --hitcount 10 --rttl --name
DNS --rsource -j DROP

I didn't bother with the middle rule that logs the activity - it put quite a
load on the server.

I also installed iptraf (yum install iptraf) and used it to see in outgoing
traffic settle down on port 53.

Richard