[BlueOnyx:12682] Re: BlueOnyx: Modern Theme Screenshots

Dave Park plastic at plasticuser.com
Sat Mar 30 12:07:59 -05 2013

My personal opinions...

It looks very crisp and sharp.

Constructive criticism:

In one of the images, it looks like the left menu is overlaid on the screen
content - I have a natural dislike of anything that partially covers
anything else.

I don't like the face icons. Most people won't use them. Those that do
won't use them consistently so it'll just be a messy inconsistency. It
would look tidier if they weren't there.

What is with the blue ribbon which seems to have attached itself to the
blueonyx logo on the login and admin screens? Does it have any
functionality?

Please, for the love of God, move the trashcan/delete icon away from the
admin button! I have twice in my many years accidentally clicked on the
trashcan.

Ideas:
Set up a phpBB support forum or similar for self-support, and link to it
from within the admin interface. This site would also be able to offer help
with installing drupal, phpBB etc on BX without clogging up this rather
wonderful mailing list.

Maybe allow a "Lite/pro interface [_]" check box that will suppress a lot
of prettifying information like the BlueOnyx logo, mouseovers, tooltips,
etc.

For the memory usage bar in one of your images, I have a visual idea that
is hard to explain, but I'll try:

What is helpful is three bars, visually.

Memory:             System                           user 6
  everyone
else          32% free
CPU:             System        user6     user2  user 1  everyone else
        85% free
Storage:        /dev        /bin     /tmp  /var                  /user
                          85% free

This gives an immediate visual representation of resource usage. Also, the
names can be clickable links that can take you directly to that site's
admin/stats page so you can see what's going on. System is always first,
then the top two or three users over a threshold percentage, then everyone
else and the free resources.

I'd also like to see some kind of visual tool to see which accounts are
using the most resources in Apache and MySQL, including visual
representations of the volume of resources used. Highlighting
resource-hungry accounts helps target clients who should maybe be paying a
little more, or moved to a different server. Who has time to go dig for
this information? Visual tools help greatly.

IMVVHO
Dave

On Sat, Mar 30, 2013 at 10:30 AM, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it>wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> > It is looking really good. Just to add 2cents, I would love to see a top
> > horizontal menu with css dropdowns.
> >
> > Also has any thought been given to responsive design or a seprate mobile
> > theme that would autoload on phones? That would be killer.
>
> Well, it is a theme we purchased and it has all these things and more.
> Just to see what it can do and how the general responsiveness is, check
> this URL: http://templates.tricyclelabs.com/adminica/
>
> And yes, mobile support is included as well. During the development I'm
> regularly checking the results with the iPad and iPhone as well. On the
> phone it already looks radically different and much more compact, which
> aids usability on such small screens.
>
> --
> With best regards
>
> Michael Stauber

 "At present, not all the possibilities implied by the above are
implemented."

    -- Tony Firshman, 1999