[BlueOnyx:12992] Re: Problem: user names disappearsatJapanesecontrol page

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat May 11 12:05:19 -05 2013

Hi Eiji,

> No,  nothing happened  NOW.
>
> #  >  yum -y update
> #
> #  Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
> #   * BlueOnyx: ftp.dti.ad.jp
> #   * Solarspeed.net: mirror.smd.net
> #   * Solarspeed.net-AVSPAM-v51: avspamv5.solarspeed.net
> #   * base: www.ftp.ne.jp
> #   * extras: www.ftp.ne.jp
> #   * updates: www.ftp.ne.jp

Please try again now.

And also take a look at these two URLs and compare them:

Japanese Mirror:
http://ftp.dti.ad.jp/pub/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS5/blueonyx/i386/RPMS/?C=M;O=D

Toplevel BlueOnyx mirror:
http://devel.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS5/blueonyx/i386/RPMS/?C=M;O=D

The Japanese mirror hasn't synchronized with the toplevel repository
since 19th January!

I'm *really* upset about this.

I don't know who runs ftp.dti.ad.jp, but this isn't acceptable. One of
the single largest usage groups of BlueOnyx is in Japan. The number of
BlueOnyx servers in Japan is bigger than the number of BlueOnyx servers
in North- and South-America combined.

However: On this list (and in the BlueOnyx news that are visible in
every GUI!) we discussed several YUM updates that were released since
January and not a *single* Japanese user deemed it necessary to report
that these updates were not getting through to them. Not a single user
reported this blatant problem. How can that be?

I have removed the ftp.dti.ad.jp mirror from the update list and it will
not be added to the list again. Ever. Almost five bloody months of no
sync for the most important Asian mirror!

My apologies for the rant, but this is really ridiculous.

The only Japanese user that ever interacts with this list is you and I
really thank you for that. But what is with the rest of your fellow
Japanese BlueOnyx users? Do they not care? Do they not have anything to
contribute - even if it's just a little feedback every now and then?

You probably can't answer this as you can only speak for yourself. But
if you have any ideas how we can reach out better to the Japanese users
and get at least some participation from them, then I would welcome that.