[BlueOnyx:13002] Re: Problem: user names disappearsatJapanesecontrol page

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Tue May 14 12:07:15 -05 2013

Hi Eiji,

> DTI.ad.jp  is a large telecommunications company in Japan.
> I met several times with them, in Japan Cobalt Users Meeting
> But I do not have any contact with them now.

I see. I also don't have any contact with them. At one point in the past
someone from there asked me if they could provide a mirror for Japan. I
emailed them the details and since then I never had any more contact
with them. Sadly, I must have misplaced the emails from them, as I
cannot find them anymore.

> I also do not know the relationship of dti.ad.jp with you.
> After the end of the bluequartz, I just guess the relationship was a
> mutually beneficial maybe.

Could be, yes.

> Tell me if there is I can do something. I believe we can cooperate,
> including to creating a new mirror server in Japan.

Yes, that would be very, very welcome. If you can provide a mirror for
BlueOnyx in Japan (or know someone else who could do so), then that
would be really excellent.

Instructions on how to set up a mirror can be found here:

http://devel.blueonyx.it/trac/

Basically all you need is to create a site for it and to set up a
cronjob that synchronized that directory with the toplevel mirror every
few hours:

rsync -rlptDqzH --delete devel.blueonyx.it::pub /path/to/the/site/

Once such a mirror is created, I need to know the domain name so that I
can add it to the list of mirror servers. At this time there is about
4.2 GB of data in the YUM repository, so you should probably reserve
around 10GB of space. But I doubt we ever need more than 5-6 GB in
total, although it would be inconvenient if a mirror runs out of diskspace.

On the mirrors that I operate directly I have this cronjob and script
set up for mirroring:

[root at updates web]# cat /etc/cron.d/mirror_blueonyx
15 * * * * root /home/sites/updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.sh

#!/bin/bash

if [ ! -e /tmp/doingsync ]; then
        touch /tmp/doingsync
        /usr/bin/rsync -rlptDqzH --delete devel.blueonyx.it::pub
/home/sites/updates.blueonyx.it/web/pub/
        /bin/rm -f /tmp/doingsync
fi

The cronjob runs every 15 minutes and the small shell script makes sure
that it runs only once and not multiple times at once. Just in case if a