[BlueOnyx:13023] Re: Problem: user namesdisappearsatJapanesecontrolpage

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu May 16 08:51:51 -05 2013

Hi Eiji,

> I am very sorry, this is my correct issues.

Yeah, the repeated messages are a bit irritating and confusing. But I
can see how that happened.

> However my "BlueOnyx.repo" are like as ;
>  mirrorlist=http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch
> Why my 5106R server did access to ftp.dti.ad.jp ?

I actually had explained that in the message [BlueOnyx:13005] yesterday.
But maybe it was lost in translation.

So I'll try to explain again:

When YUM accesses the URL http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php, then
that script reports back with a list of URLs. This list of URLs tells
YUM which mirrors are available. YUM then uses these list of URLs for
the updates.

Please click on one of the links below to see what I mean:

5106R:
http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php?release=5.9&arch=i386

5107R:
http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php?release=6.4&arch=i386

5108R:
http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php?release=6.4&arch=x86_64

For 5108R YUM would therefore see this list or URLs:

http://updates.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS6/blueonyx/x86_64/
http://mirror.blueonyx.de/pub/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS6/blueonyx/x86_64/
http://bb-one.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS6/blueonyx/x86_64/
http://www.blueonyx.nl/pub/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS6/blueonyx/x86_64/
http://blueonyx.precisionweb.net/BlueOnyx/5106R/CentOS6/blueonyx/x86_64/

Until a few days ago it would also have shown a list of URLs that
included ftp.dti.ad.jp.

When presented with such a list of URL's, YUM contacts them all to
determine the speed and availability. For the actual YUM updates it
finally uses the YUM repository that is the closest and the fastest.

For Japanese users of BlueOnyx this meant that they almost always were
connecting to ftp.dti.ad.jp. But as that server had outdated
information, they could not get any updates that were released after
19th of January.

> 2.  Trafic :  vps_111-month.png
> I will do question from a different point of view.
> How many machines does it expect access to the mirror?

That is the point: I don't really know. YUM clients unfortunately don't
access http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php every day. It does so once
in a while. Then YUM uses the cached data for 4-7 days. Only after the
cached data has expired the YUM client will access
http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php again.

I can only measure the regional distribution of BlueOnyx servers by
looking at the incomplete data that I get from the statistics that the
PHP script http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php provides to me.

In 2012 we had about 550 daily accesses to that script from Japanese IP
addresses. In 2013 that number has risen to around 800 daily accesses
from Japan. The real number of Japanese BlueOnyx servers could be four
to five times higher. Maybe more, maybe less.

Additionally: The Japanese mirror was the only BlueOnyx mirror in Asia
and in the Pacific region. So it got the traffic from Australia, New
Zealand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan, China, Thailand, Korea, Indonesia
and other countries in that region, too. Maybe even some from Hawaii or
the US pacific coast, although that seems unlikely.

However: The number of BlueOnyx servers in Asia or the Pacific area
outside of Japan is relatively small. The number of Japanese users is
much higher than that of it's neighbours.

I just did some quick math based on the 2012 statistics. In 2012 there
were around 250.000 connections to http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php
from Japan and neighbouring countries. That's an average of 685 accesses
per day. Compared to the 550 daily connections from Japan alone.

If we assume that an Asian mirror sees 4-5 times more connections a day
than http://updates.blueonyx.it/mirror.php, then we can predict that a
Japanese mirror would see connections from around 3100-3500 individual
servers a day. Even if there are no new updates available, each YUM
client accesses several XML files of the YUM repository during an update
attempt. So this would make it around 6000-7000 "hits" a day. All in all
this is not much burden for a webserver, because all that content is
static, there is no PHP scripting or MySQL database usage.

Unfortunately, most of these connections will happen during the morning
hours and with just a few hours of spacing between them.

> If  DTI and MIRACLE LINUX  are not access already,the accesses from Japan should be small?

No, at the moment and in the future BlueOnyx will not use the DTI mirror
anymore. Therefore a new mirror in Japan would get all the regional YUM
related traffic which previously was handled by the DTI mirror.