[BlueOnyx:13062] Re: Problem: usernamesdisappearsatJapanesecontrolpage

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sun May 19 11:14:09 -05 2013

Hi Eiji,

>    If there are 800 daily accesses from Japan,
>    few Japanese people must be in this list.
>    Even if they might not not speak.
>
>    How many participants are people of e-mail address with ".jp" ?
>    If nobody, I think not 800 daily access.

Eiji, I answered all of these questions already. An Asian or pacific
mirror can expect 800 unique visitors a day. It's not hits or accesses,
but accesses from unique IP's. Some (a few) IP's access multiple times a
day. Which would would indicate that there are sometimes multiple
servers behind the same IP address. This - and other factors - make it
tricky to give exact figures.

In 2012 we had about 550 daily unique visits from Japanese IP addresses.
These year it's closer to 800.

> 4. Including Pacific area
>
>    Many problems will occur to me.
>    Access many from China, Russia, and etc. have been suspended.
>    Attack is the reason why.

Which is a bit paranoid, if you ask me. The mirror is serving neither
PHP or Perl scripts. Only port 80 needs to be open for serving static
content. Anything else is not needed.

But if you don't want or cannot do it for whatever reason, then we can
stop this discussion right here. Thanks for taking it under
consideration, though.

We'll serve the pacific area from the other mirrors.

As for DTI: They had their chance. I'm not interested in hosting a
mirror with an unresponsive and uninterested third party which has no
real ties or connections with the BlueOnyx project. Except when it
serves their own needs.

So I have no interest in talking with DTI. What for? I don't want to
constantly monitor the DTI mirror to see if they're falling behind with
updates again.