[BlueOnyx:13069] Re: find unused e-mail users

Eric Peabody admin at bnserve.com
Mon May 20 08:20:30 -05 2013

Stuart,

This will list the inbox files by date:

     ls -lt /home/sites/*/users/*/mbox

Certainly users who have not gotten mail recently are ones to consider
removing.  However any spam delivery would affect that. Also try listing
the mail directories by modification time.

     ls -ltd /home/sites/*/users/*/mail

It would be nice to have reports of login activity but that is not part
of the package.  In the absence of a login report, listing users who
have not sent or received mail is a reasonable proxy. Still, I would
generate a candidate list from the commands above and then grep the mail
logs, as in:

   zgrep <user> /var/log/maillog*|grep dovecot

(Replace <user> with the user name of interest.)

Since password guessing might affect this, you might check the IP
address with, "whois <IP>" and make sure it is a reasonable address.

Finally, check the .forward file of any user you consider deleting.  A
user may have all their mail forwarded elsewhere and so not show up in
any of the above.

Eric