[BlueOnyx:13125] Dovecot issues

Gregg Kock greggk1 at cox.net
Wed May 29 15:23:38 -05 2013

Hi,
Just recently there was a thread regarding dovecot how sometimes it doesn't
come back up.  I have monitored this particular server and it doesn't seem
that it's being attacked, however that the users are using it a lot more
than they used to.  I do have dfix installed from compass and I noticed that
dfix shuts down dovecot after 50 dovecot sessions and then turns it back on
or at least tries to, sometimes it doesn't come back on right away. I guess
I could increase this to a higher limit, but will that cause problems with
dovecot?  I think a lot of times the users are just idle and dovecot doesn't
shut down their imap sessions.  Sometimes I see 4 to 5 imap sessions from
the same user and that adds up quickly.  I noticed under /etc/dovecot/conf.d
there are a lot of config files in there, is it safe to play around with
some of the settings in there for imap?  Most of the settings are commented
out at the moment, which I guess is the default setting of the server.  Any
thoughts? :)