[BlueOnyx:13859] SOLVED: Re: Re: phantom ip addresses, NICs and MAC addresses

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Wed Oct 16 01:09:10 -05 2013

Tom <wcstaff at ...> writes:

> Tom <wcstaff <at> ...> writes:

> > I think I may have found my problem, regarding phantom ip addresses,
NICs and MAC addresses, but I don't know how to safely correct it.

 > >From the console I performed the following:

> > [root <at> ns]# cd /usr/sausalito/codb/objects

> > [root <at> ns objects]# grep -r 96.xxx.xxx * |more

> > I wrote down all the numbered Dirs that showed the wrong reported IP

> > address. As I checked each file in the Dirs for the IPs, I also found

> > files with the phantom NIC and MAC address.

> > I'm afraid to delete them or modify them for fear of causing damage to

> > the system.

> > Is there a way to correct these?

> > In my quest of searching I read a post from 2009 by Michael S,

> > explaining how to repair this error.

> > Thanks

> > Tom

> I went through each and every directory and file and found Directories 2

> and 33 reporting the wrong MAC addresses for eth0 and eth1. And

> Directories 692, 693, 694, 711 and 712 refer to eth2, eth3, eth4, eth5,

> eth6, with phantom IP and Mac addresses. Since there are only 2 NICs

> installed (eth0 and eth1), and when I check the network configuration

> from the console, it shows correctly, I need to remove these references,
> which may fix some of my problems. Can someone point me in the right

> direction for some instructions. I found the following but am not sure if

> it is correct:

> etc/init.d/crond stop

> etc/init.d/cced.init stop

> modify the proper files in directories 2 and 33 to reflect the proper MAC

> addresses.

> remove the unneeded directories by performing:

> rm -R /usr/sausalito/codb/objects/692

> rm -R /usr/sausalito/codb/objects/693

> rm -R /usr/sausalito/codb/objects/694

> rm -R /usr/sausalito/codb/objects/611

> rm -R /usr/sausalito/codb/objects/712

> /etc/init.d/crond start

> /etc/init.d/cced.init start

> Thanks

> Tom

SOLVED:

A big thank you to Michael Stauber.

I found a thread he wrote about creating the following script:

I created a shellscript with this code in it and ran it:

#!/bin/bash

LAST=-1

MIN=-1

for X in `ls /usr/sausalito/codb/objects/ | sort -n`

do

  MYNEXT=$(( $LAST + 1 ))

  if [ $MYNEXT -eq $X ]

  then

    LAST=$X

  else

    if [ $LAST -ge 1 ]

    then

      if [ $MIN -eq $LAST ]

      then

        echo -n $LAST,

      else

        echo -n $MIN-$LAST,

      fi

    fi

    LAST=$X

    MIN=$X

  fi

done

if [ $MYNEXT -lt $X ]

then

  echo -n $LAST

else

  echo -n $MIN-$LAST

fi

echo ""

echo "/usr/sausalito/codb/codb.oids reports:"

cat /usr/sausalito/codb/codb.oids

echo ""

The script allowed me to compare what CODB thought it was using to what it
actually was using.

I did the following from the console:

/etc/init.d/crond stop

/etc/init.d/cced.init stop

Then I ran the above script

The script gives you 2 lines of objects numbers. The first line is what is
really being used by CODB and the second line is what CODB thinks it is
using.

I then went to /usr/Sausalito/codb and edited the codb.oids file to match
the top correct line of numbers for the objects in the database.

Then:

/etc/init.d/crond start

/etc/init.d/cced.init start

All the extra phantom IP addresses, wrong Mac Addresses and strange entries
in my DNS were all corrected and gone. Also, the part of the GUI systems
settings/TCP/IP, that I whined about so much, now works.

Again THANK YOU Michael.

Tom