[BlueOnyx:15621] Re: 5207R/5208R progress report

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Mon Jul 7 01:05:54 -05 2014

Hi all,

Two weeks ago I wrote:

> I need 2-3 more days to wrap that up. Then I can start the last missing
> piece: The support module. Like said: It'll take a week - give or take a
> few days. It's a simple sweat-shop exercise. I have the code already in
> my head and just need to hammer it straight into the keyboard.
>
> If nothing else happens, I should be able to start building RPMs in two
> weeks or thereabouts.

Update on that: I'm just wrapping up the base-support module. That's a
module for diagnostics, bug reports and for filing Support Tickets. So
I'm fully on time on the last promise. Today (Monday) I'll have just
three items left on my list:

- Final build of the base-support module with all supported languages
and submitting it to SVN. Time: 2-3 hours.

- Quick detour to wrap up the last loose end: Allowing multiple
SSL-enabled Vsites on the same IP. This will take a day or two to
implement and test.

- Updating the Demo server with the latest progress. Takes 5-10 minutes.

Once that's done there will be a feature freeze. No more new stuff for
the new GUI. Just fixing bugs when and if they're detected and/or
improving the translations whenever someone submits a better one than
the ones that the Google Translate API provided.

Tuesday or Wednesday I'll start on the preparations to build RPMs. I
need to tweak the build environment and build scripts to allow modules
to build for either the new GUI, the old GUI or both. That's another
couple of days of work, as I not only have to mess with the build
scripts, but also need to modify the module structure of ~55 BlueOnyx
modules to be compatible with the new build environment and RPM SpecFiles.

As that happens, bits and pieces of the new GUI's PHP classes and
libraries will become available in SVN for the first time.

Which means sometime next weekend I'll start to crank out the first RPMs
for 5207R/5208R. It'll be around 800 RPMs for each platform. Which
includes updating a few auxiliary Source RPMs for things such as
phpMyAdmin, phpSysinfo and Z-Push, which are in need for updates, too.

So all in all I'm optimistic that end of July we'll have the Beta for
both 5207R/5208R ready for download. Both as OpenVZ OS templates and ISO
images. Tarball-Installer eventually, too, although I'll do that one at
the very last when all is said and done.