[BlueOnyx:15650] Re: CMUExport missing data

Steven Howes steve-lists at geekinter.net
Fri Jul 11 02:59:35 -05 2014

On 10 Jul 2014, at 23:42, Michael Stauber <mstauber at blueonyx.it> wrote:
> It's not supported. But take a look at the CMU migration guide. There is
> a separate script for import of secondaries. If you modify that, you
> could let it create the correct primary records instead of secondaries.
>
> To find out the difference between CODB transactions are for a primary
> or secondary record, simply do this:
>
> a.) Run a tail -f /var/log/messages
> b.) Create a primary DNS record.
> c.) Create a secondary DNS record.
>
> Compare the CODB "set" transactions and in the Perl script for the
> import simply add/replace the corresponding key/value pairs in the
> cce->create() transaction.

I managed to do some level of bodgery to get records to import. I managed to use dig to pull a ‘nearly a zone file’ from the slave, and use a hacked around dnsImport.pl to import these as primary records. Luckily we’ve managed to get the other box back to life, so I do now have access to run a full file-level backup. There are a few bugs in that dnsImport.pl that I fixed (hackily), for example, the parsing of ; comments happens *after* it’s parsed the brackets for an SOA. This means BlueQuartz secondary zone files (complete with brackets in comments) fail spectacularly. The PTR handling is wrong too :(

Once the chaos is over I’ll try and diff my hacked version against the original, see if there is anything that can be used sensibly (it’s very hacky currently).

Steve