[BlueOnyx:15981] Re: Uppercase in email addresses

Lew Berry LCBerry at lcbconsulting.net
Thu Sep 18 08:52:36 -05 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it [mailto:blueonyx-bounces at mail.blueonyx.it] On Behalf Of Gerald Waugh
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:28 AM
To: BlueOnyx General Mailing List
Subject: [BlueOnyx:15979] Re: Uppercase in email addresses

On 09/18/2014 08:14 AM, Steven Howes wrote:
> On 18 Sep 2014, at 14:03, Gerald Waugh <gwaugh at frontstreetnetworks.com> wrote:
>> On 09/18/2014 07:15 AM, Lew Berry wrote:
>>> Doesn't really matter as far as the alias goes, the addresses aren't case sensitive. The end user or recipient will probably never see the address as entered in the GUI.  The only place the functionality is needed is in the email client for display, mail from, signature, etc.. Most clients already have that functionality.
>> Functionality is required in the email server.
> What for? The email server doesn't have anything to do with the sending address - the client picks that. Receiving is case insensitive so it doesn't matter.
I was incorrect, it makes a difference in the BlueOnyx email functionality.
If a user on a BlueOnyx server with an email address johndoe at domain.tld decides he will use JohnDoe at domain.tld he will not be able to login to dovecot and/or receive email to that address.
If I add JohnDoe at domain.tld to virtusertable he is allowed to login and receive email at that address.

Gerald

I've never had the issue of mail not coming in properly (delivered) with any of my BX boxes including my RAQ3.
I've always used LCBerry in address as opposed to lcberry which is often confused with Icberry (i).
I have experienced the problem with the login being case sensitive. Since the username isn't case sensitive in Windows, users just assume it isn't in Linux. I've always dealt with by re-educating the end users, often a daunting task in itself. I generally spell it (the case sensitive part) out in the documentation on setting up their email client.

Lew Berry, MCSE, MCT, CSSA
LCB Consulting Inc.
Systems Engineer
450-106 State Road 13 N, #205