[BlueOnyx:15983] Re: Uppercase in email addresses

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Thu Sep 18 10:44:24 -05 2014

Hi Gerald,

On 9/18/2014 9:52 AM, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> Thanks for the responses.
> After studying the issue further....
>
> Sep 17 15:46:35 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 3
> attempts): user=<JohnDoe>
> but the user can login
> Sep 18 09:03:29 mail dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<jdoe>
>
> So I tried to make an alias JohnDoe for user jdoe received error
> "Please enter characters containing only lowercase alphanumeric
> characters, period, and underscores"
> BTW, I was able to create the JohnDoe alias in virtusertable and all was OK.
>
> I now assume I should make an alias johndoe for the user, GUI accepted,
> now to wait for results.

Actually, you do not need to create separate aliases for uppercase and
lowercase versions of a user.   They're automatically implied, because
the server is not making a distinction.  It's case insensitive.

In other words, if you make an alias "johndoe" in the BlueOnyx GUI, then
email sent to JohnDoe, johndoe, JoHnDoe or whatever other combination of
caps and lowercase will work out.

HTH!

--
Chris Gebhardt