[BlueOnyx:16042] Re: Patched bash for RH 4.9

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Sat Sep 27 09:06:40 -05 2014

On 9/26/2014 10:07 PM, George F. Nemeyer wrote:
> For any who may have any RAQ 4 boxes (AMD K6-III CPUs which are i586), the
> compiled Oracle bash rpm *seems* to work ok.  However, the running bash
> reports i686 despite the repo saying .i386.  So use caution before blindly
> updating packages.
>
> For those K-6 machines, it may be better to grab source packages and
> compile them for the i586 since there are a few machine instructions in
> the 686 that aren't present in the 586 architecture.  If the 586
> encounters instructions it dosen't know about, the application will crash
> with an 'illegal instruction' fault.

George, you are a true adventurer, sir!   It's fun to think that there
are still little blue RaQs actually running in production these days.
We migrated our last customer about 6 months ago, who was still running
a RaQ they had bought from Gerald at Front Street Networks back in the day.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services