[BlueOnyx:18741] Re: SSL Certificates (via Let's Encrypt) - available for 5209R

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Mon Dec 7 12:51:33 -05 2015

On 12/5/2015 9:15 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> The BlueOnyx 5209R version of base-ssl now supports generation and
> auto-renewal of the free "Let's Encrypt!" SSL certificates through the GUI.

After looking through this thread and the Let's Encrypt website, I have
mixed feelings on this.

On one hand, we have a CA offering free certificates.  And that's neat.
  Everybody seems to like free.   Heck, I love a good deal.

On the other hand, it seems like this has a long way to go in order to
make it practical for a business use.  This falls in line with my
feelings toward repurposing that old Cobalt RaQ to run a "modern" OS and
maybe kludge BlueOnyx onto it.   Can it be made to work?  Yeah,
probably.  With enough effort almost anything is possible.     But is it
worth it?   It's hard for me to make a business case for it.

Now, if you're a hobbyist, and you think it's fun to tinker with stuff,
then go for it.  More power to you.   But for me, I think I'll continue
to spend a few bucks on a certificate that I don't have to renew every
X-days or run some sort of add-on software to support it.

If I can't afford a few bucks for a certificate that means one of two
things.  Either (a) it's a hobby project and the self-signed certificate
that is no less secure will do just fine or (b) I really need to
re-evaluate my business, because if I can't afford an inexpensive SSL
cert I'm really doing something wrong!

This is just my opinion, based on a business case, and reasonable people
have been known to disagree with matters of opinion.

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services