[BlueOnyx:18762] Gneric question on 5208R DNS

Larry Smith lesmith at ecsis.net
Thu Dec 10 14:25:02 -05 2015

Have recently loaded several 5208R servers to replace some older
bluequartz and such and have noticed that none of them will connect
to NewLinQ unless I enable DNS on the box itself.

Note:  I do not run DNS on any of my hosting servers, I have a dedicated
cluster of machines that run my DNS - therefore I always (bluequartz,
blueonyx, cobalt, whatever) disable the local box DNS.

So I end up having to go to each box, enable DNS, do the NewlinQ setup
and configuration, load the packages I want for that box, then go back and
disable DNS....

Just curious what under the hood is doing that as each box has valid
nameservers defined and can identify www.blueonyx.it and talk to the
network - just will not get the BlueOnyx News feed or anything NewLinQ
unless I enable the local DNS.

--
Larry Smith
lesmith at ecsis.net