[BlueOnyx:18763] Re: Gneric question on 5208R DNS

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Dec 10 14:49:27 -05 2015

Hi Larry,

> Have recently loaded several 5208R servers to replace some older
> bluequartz and such and have noticed that none of them will connect
> to NewLinQ unless I enable DNS on the box itself.

Uuuh ... no, that should *not* be the case. Your server needs to be able
to resolve DNS. But it doesn't need to run the DNS server.

Having said that: Your server needs working DNS resolution for a lot of
things:

- YUM updates
- Email (sending/receiving)
- Hostname lookups on connections (FTP, Email, HTTP, SSH and others)
- GeoIP (if enabled and used)
- NewLinQ
- RSS News feed in the GUI

> Just curious what under the hood is doing that as each box has valid
> nameservers defined and can identify www.blueonyx.it and talk to the
> network

In the GUI go to "Server Management" /  "System Settings" / "TCP/IP".

There you can specify "DNS Servers", where you enter which DNS servers
your BlueOnyx will use for all DNS resolutions that it needs to perform.

If you want to use the BlueOnyx DNS service on your own box, you would
enter "127.0.0.1" or your own servers IP there. But you can also enter
the IP of any other DNS server that would respond to queries. Such as
"8.8.8.8" and "8.8.4.4", which are the public Google DNS servers. Or
you'd enter the DNS servers that your uplink provider or datacenter
provides for such purposes.