[BlueOnyx:18774] Re: Problem renaming a virtual site

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Sat Dec 12 00:52:51 -05 2015

Hi Neil,

> However, the rename fails with "Sorry the email alias,, is already in
> use on this system. Please choose another."
>
> I can see various version of this error that specifies, between the
> commas, the offending mail user - but my instance doesn't....
>
>  From syslog, I could see that
> /usr/sausalito/handlers/base/email/validate_alias.pl seemed to be giving
> the problem, so I turned on its debug. This yielded:
>
> /usr/sausalito/handlers/base/email/validate_alias.pl: : poids: 59 47
> Dec 11 16:52:58 server pperld

Ah, thank you a lot for turning on debugging. That is really helpful and
directly allows me to give you a qualified answer.

So the "poids" search returned two OIDs that are in use: OID 59 and OID
47. Now "poids" in that script stands for "ProtectedEmailAlias".

This covers email aliases that are reserved for system usage. The full
list of reserved email aliases (which cannot be used for user-names) are
these:

%illegal_usernames = map { $_ => 1 } qw /
    root bin daemon adm lp sync shutdown halt mail news uucp operator
    games gopher ftp nobody dbus rpm http nscd vcsa ntp wnn ident canna
    haldaemon rpc named amanda sshd postgres pvm netdump pcap radvd
    quagga mailnull smmsp pegasus apache mailman webalizer xfs cyrus
    radiusd ldap exim mysql fax squid dovecot postfixgdm
    pop alterroot httpd chiliasp qmail share-guest majordomo
    anonymous guest Root Admin ROOT ADMIN admin info postmaster
    nut canna rpm amandabackup privoxy gdm postfix desktop rpcuser
    nfsnobody ingres system toor manager dumper abuse newsadm newsadmin
    usenet ftpadm ftpadmin ftp ftp www noc security hostmaster info
    decode root-admin mailer-daemon
/;

Please run /usr/sausalito/bin/cceclient and inside that run these two
commands:

get 59
get 47

That will return the contends of the two offending OIDs that are causing
the conflict. That should give you more pointers about which User and
Vsite they belong to. You might need to either remove these users or
need to remove their offending alias.

> Given this site began life on a BlueQuartz system, I assume there are
> some mail id's that are no longer acceptable...

Yeah, we needed to expand the list of prohibited usernames a bit with
each OS release, as each new OS added a couple of more system users than
the previous one had.

> (BTW, the httpd handling is working correctly on 5207 where is didn't on
> 5107 - thanks for the pointing out the obvious, Michael: I must admit I
> was under the impression that the 32bit builds couldn't be upgraded!)

The only BlueOnyx that we cannot upgrade to the new GUI is 5106R. The
PHP it uses is way too old to handle the new GUI (PHP-5.1.6) and CentOS5
is nearing the end of its usefulness anyway and it's EOL is around the
corner.

With 5107R and 5108R an upgrade to 5207R and 5208R (respectively) is
possible.