[BlueOnyx:18832] Re: BlueOnyx server down

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Thu Dec 17 23:53:40 -05 2015

Hi all,

> Here are the messages I am getting when running "systemctl
> status named" "Failed to start Berkely Internet Name Domain
> (DNS) Unit Named.Service entered failed state. Name.Service
> failed"

This is just a "for the records" post as I logged into Tom's box and
sorted the issue.

Here is where 5209R is a bit different: On all older boxes we needed to
do some "hacking" to let the DNS run in a chroot. Hence on older boxes
the service you need for DNS is just "named".

On 5209R the underlying OS provides us with two separate startup scripts:

- "named" for the regular DNS without chroot.

- "named-chroot" for the DNS with chroot environment.

You must only use *one* of them and cannot run both. Each of them also
keeps its DNS zone files (and the general configuration) in different
directories. So if yours are in the directories for "named-chroot" and
you start the wrong service, then your DNS will not work as expected.