[BlueOnyx:17995] Re: BlueOnyx 5209 initial login

Michael Stauber mstauber at blueonyx.it
Fri Jul 10 15:19:18 -05 2015

Hi Tom,

> I have installed the new BlueOnyx 5209 DVD 2 full times now and run into
> the same exact problem. After installation, I followed the directions and
> accessed the server through a web browser. It comes up to the login
> screen  and asks for a username and password. Nothing works.

I'm not sure if we spoke about this already (offlist or on the list), so
I'll go into a bit of detail here.

Use the latest ISO image (again):

http://updates.blueonyx.it/pub/BlueOnyx/ISO/BlueOnyx-5209R-CentOS-7.1-BETA-20150701.iso

Even if you downloaded it already on 1st July, it got fixed again on 2nd
July and is good to go now.

It fixes the exact problem that you describe, which is as follows:

BlueOnyx *needs* the EXT4 filesystem (or EXT3). But EL7 defaults to XFS
instead. Our kickstart specifically tells the Anaconda CD installer: Use
EXT4 and not XFS.

But: The disk detection mechanisms might fail during the kickstart based
setups. In which case Anaconda runs off into one direction or other and
you end up with a partition scheme other than we wanted AND on top of
it: It uses bloody XFS.

If XFS is used, disk quota won't work. Without disk quota the "admin"
account will not be auto-generated. Hence the initial login to the
Wizard won't work.

So if you look at /etc/fstab in your last (failed) 5209R install, then
it'll probably say it's using XFS and that's the problem.

The latest ISO image fixes this in several ways for all boot options but
"Expert Mode".

IMPORTANT: You also *need* sufficient disk space to install BlueOnyx.
Attempting to install via "HD Autodetect" on a 20GB disk will fail, as
that install option needs around 28GB of space at least.

See this image please:

http://www.blueonyx.it/uploads/images/5209R-lb.png

- HD Autodetect

This uses a new mechanism to detect disks more reliably so that you end
up using EXT4. If two disks are found, RAID1 will be set up. The help
text when you select this option will also tell you how much diskspace
it needs at a minimum.

- Single Disk, no LVM

Name says it all and this is new. Use it if your server only has a
single disk. Whatever disk you got, this installer option *will* detect
it and will use it, so that you end up with EXT4. The help text when you
select this option will also tell you how much diskspace it needs at a
minimum.

- Small Servers

This comes without dedicated /home and /var partition. All usable space
is assigned to / instead. Ideal for small servers such as VPS's. The
help text when you select this option will also tell you how much
diskspace it needs at a minimum.

- Expert Mode

This allows you to partition yourself. Important: You NEED to select the
EXT4 filesystem *and* under Package Selection you need to mark the
BlueOnyx group to get BlueOnyx installed.

TL;DR:

- Use the latest ISO.
- Make sure to use a boot option that conforms with your disk types
  and available disk space

Afterwards you can login as "root" with password "blueonyx". If the
install went well, it'll actually tell you this in the info line above
the login prompt.