[BlueOnyx:18081] Re: Mysterious /web ownership change

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jul 22 19:51:21 -05 2015

Hi Michael,
Thanks for the ideas.

On 7/22/2015 6:42 PM, Michael Stauber wrote:
> Hmmm ... weird. There were no YUM updates for BlueOnyx 5207R/5208R in
> the last 12 days. So it wasn't the install of an update that could have
> caused this.

Yes, the last I see was July 11 (for anything BlueOnyx related).
Nothing obvious there.

> The only handler that changes ownership of the /web folders is this one:
>
> php_vsite_handler.pl
>
> So I'd suggest to run "cat /var/log/messages|grep php_vsite_handler.pl"
> and check at which date and time that was run. Then check manually in
> the log at the date and time and see which SET transactions were right
> before the that handler did run.
>
> That will help to identify the cause.

The only entries are from where we have manipulated the ownership to fix
sites.

I think we may have narrowed this down to a particular list of sites.
These would be "older" sites that were installed quite some time ago.
As in... years.   Sites that have been set up more recently are not
impacted.

I wonder if perhaps it's not an issue of the sites having their
permissions changed.  The permissions have likely NOT been changed.  So
has a handler in Apache or PHP changed recently?   These servers are
using Solarspeed's 5.3.12 PHP, but I don't see that there have been any
updates/patches there.

This is truly puzzling.   Right now I'm not sure the best method to fix
other than going through site by site and updating the ownership.   That
will be time consuming, but if there is not a way to script it, then
manual it shall be!

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services