[BlueOnyx:18112] Re: Migration decision

Tom wcstaff at webcoast.com
Tue Jul 28 15:53:03 -05 2015

Hi Chris,
 to do a cmuExport
> from the existing system, then cmuImport that onto the new one.   That's
> pretty well old-hat around here as we do it all the time.  The benefit
> is it's very predictable.   The drawback is it's a bit of a hassle.
>
> One consideration that I have:  I'm concerned about the BlueOnyx Shop
> purchases.   If we migrate the system P2V-style, then we don't have to
> worry about NewLinQ being able to grab new software, because the
> software will all come along.   If we CMU, then we often times run into
> the issue where NewLinQ says a manual reset is needed, and that can wind
> up taking precious hours or even days at a very inconvenient time.
>
> So there we go.   Thoughts and comments appreciated.

For me, I always put up with the hassle and use CMU for the export and
import. This way I'm pretty sure to grab what's needed without errors.
Personally I don't think it's a hassle, once I got use to it (I follow the
FAQ sheet:-)).
Regarding NewLinQ, I migrated several servers in the last 2 months or less
(kept upgrading server and drives). Once the migration, normal tweaks and
tests were completed, with the exception of the first time (my fault), I
was able to go right to Software Updates/NewLinQ/Link A Package and link.
Under Third Party software, there were some of the packages already there.
Just my 2 cents
Tom