[BlueOnyx:18113] Re: Migration decision

Greg Kuhnert gkuhnert at compassnetworks.com.au
Wed Jul 29 08:44:08 -05 2015

Chris and Tom…

> On 29 Jul 2015, at 6:53 am, Tom <wcstaff at webcoast.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Chris,
> to do a cmuExport
>> from the existing system, then cmuImport that onto the new one.   That's
>> pretty well old-hat around here as we do it all the time.  The benefit
>> is it's very predictable.   The drawback is it's a bit of a hassle.
>>
>> One consideration that I have:  I'm concerned about the BlueOnyx Shop
>> purchases.   If we migrate the system P2V-style, then we don't have to
>> worry about NewLinQ being able to grab new software, because the
>> software will all come along.   If we CMU, then we often times run into
>> the issue where NewLinQ says a manual reset is needed, and that can wind
>> up taking precious hours or even days at a very inconvenient time.
>>
>> So there we go.   Thoughts and comments appreciated.
>
> For me, I always put up with the hassle and use CMU for the export and
> import. This way I'm pretty sure to grab what's needed without errors.
> Personally I don't think it's a hassle, once I got use to it (I follow the
> FAQ sheet:-)).
> Regarding NewLinQ, I migrated several servers in the last 2 months or less
> (kept upgrading server and drives). Once the migration, normal tweaks and
> tests were completed, with the exception of the first time (my fault), I
> was able to go right to Software Updates/NewLinQ/Link A Package and link.
> Under Third Party software, there were some of the packages already there.

Newlinq will generally let you migrate from one server to another, but only once per month. You can change server (physical), or IP address as part of a move. If you change both, it is more complex and may need some help on our end. Why does it do this? Protection. There are some people who have tried to clone VM’s to avoid paying for more than one software license. The “Manual sync” process just means that you have done something that is outside the expected changes per month, and extra changes require approval.

If you do follow the P2V route, you may end up in a sticky place. Newlinq is now checking for valid “links”. Again, the reason for this is related to some that have done VM cloning to avoid paying for software.

If you are planning a complex migration, give us some notice, and we can make allowances to avoid any issues.

GK

P.S. It is disappointing that people do the wrong thing. The store automatically gives an 80% discount on the 2nd and subsequent copies if purchased on a single order.