[BlueOnyx:18114] Re: Migration decision

Chris Gebhardt - VIRTBIZ Internet cobaltfacts at virtbiz.com
Wed Jul 29 09:19:16 -05 2015

Hi Greg,

On 7/29/2015 8:44 AM, Greg Kuhnert wrote:
> Newlinq will generally let you migrate from one server to another, but only once per month. You can change server (physical), or IP address as part of a move. If you change both, it is more complex and may need some help on our end. Why does it do this? Protection. There are some people who have tried to clone VM’s to avoid paying for more than one software license. The “Manual sync” process just means that you have done something that is outside the expected changes per month, and extra changes require approval.

OK, thanks for the explanation.  That is actually very helpful.

> If you do follow the P2V route, you may end up in a sticky place. Newlinq is now checking for valid “links”. Again, the reason for this is related to some that have done VM cloning to avoid paying for software.

It troubles me greatly that some would choose to "cheat" and steal the
software rather than purchase it.   We have a small, but very dedicated
group of BlueOnyx developers and supporters.   BlueOnyx is made
available to everyone on an Open Source and completely free to use
basis, and it comes packed as a fully-featured platform.

There are additional features that can be added for a pretty reasonable
cost if one should decide they are beneficial.

I recognize this is a different rant for a different day, but it merits
mention that the only way BlueOnyx can afford to exist is through the
support of those that make it available.    Buy your software
legitimately from the BlueOnyx shop and support Solarspeed (Michael) and
Compass (Greg).   They toil for untold hours to make BlueOnyx what it is
for us.

I'd even go so far to say if you're in the market for hosting, give
VIRTBIZ (my company) some consideration.  As the host datacenter for
BlueOnyx, we provide hardware, connectivity and support for BlueOnyx.
Without that, there would be no home for the project, no place for the
Dev Team to try stuff out in a live environment, and no free & easy
downloads for the community.   We receive no compensation for this other
than from when folks decide to give us a try as their service provider.
   (And for any of our customers reading this, a big THANK YOU for that!)

</rant>

> If you are planning a complex migration, give us some notice, and we can make allowances to avoid any issues.

I'll send you some notice shortly.   ;)

--
Chris Gebhardt
VIRTBIZ Internet Services